Understanding the Five Elements of a Healthy Pond.
- A skimmer keeps the water clean by removing debris as it falls in. That way it doesn’t sink to the bottom to decay. The skimmer houses the pump and a filter pad to help the pond looking great.
2) Rocks and gravel
- These provide surface area for good bacteria to colonize, which helps keep algae under control.
- The movement of the water helps keep it oxygenated. This is beneficial for the fish and plants, which in turn help keep algae in check. It keeps the water from being stagnant.
- Fish eat algae as well as add nutrients back into the water. Watching fish has proven to be very relaxing!
- Plants are additional living filtration. A great way to keep a pond in balance is to have lilies, floating hyacinth and other plants. Just like regular garden plants, there are plants that overwinter here in zone five.
If you are new to ponds, check out this pond guide below.